Many of Samsung's latest Galaxy handsets, and a number of its tablets, are capable of running Samsung DeX software. Designed to help you extend your device into a desktop computing experience, you'll be able to use your favourite Samsung apps on a big screen simply by hooking up to another display.
Find out below if your device is compatible, and learn exactly how to get started with Samsung DeX with our handy step-by-step guides.
What is Samsung DeX?
First introduced in 2017, Samsung DeX can be found on a select number of Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets. Pre-installed on each compatible device, this unique Samsung software helps users unlock new possibilities on a PC, Mac or even a Smart TV.
Once Samsung DeX has been correctly setup, you'll be able to access your favourite apps on a much larger screen. This isn't just a form of casting however, once you begin to use it you'll quickly realise that there are loads of new features to explore. Alongside a unique interface, you'll be able open multiple windows, resize windows, use keyboard shortcuts and much more.
You can also choose to use your phone or tablet as a controller (which can be particularly useful if you're presenting something to a group). Alternatively, you can keep things separate with dual mode and use different apps on your phone, while simultaneously sending emails, making notes and more on your monitor, laptop or TV.
Can my Samsung device use Samsung DeX?
Samsung continuously updates its list of compatible devices, and every flagship introduced from 2017 onwards will be able to use DeX. This includes the following Samsung Galaxy handsets:
• S20/S20 5G/ S20+/S20 Ultra
• S20 FE / S20 FE 5G
• Note20/Note20 Ultra
• Galaxy Fold
• Galaxy Z Fold2
The following Samsung Galaxy tablets are also compatible with Samsung DeX:
• Galaxy Tab S4
• Galaxy Tab S5e
• Galaxy Tab S6
• Galaxy Tab S7
• Galaxy Tab S7+
• Galaxy Tab Active Pro
What do I need to use Samsung DeX?
Getting started with Samsung DeX is easy - you'll just need a few things to make sure everything runs smoothly. Before you try to use the software, make sure you have the following:
• A compatible Samsung device
• Monitor with an HDMI input
• An HDMI cable with either a Samsung HDMI adapter or a Samsung multiport adapter
• Or, alternatively, a DeX cable
• Peripherals (a mouse and keyboard)
If you own a newer Samsung flagship, such as the Samsung Galaxy Note20, you'll also be able to use Samsung DeX on a Smart TV. If you'd prefer to do this, then you'll need:
• A compatible Samsung device
• TV that supports Miracast
• Bluetooth-enabled mouse and keyboard (optional)
How to setup Samsung DeX
There are a number of ways to take advantage of Samsung DeX. You can connect your device to a monitor, a Smart TV or even run it on your laptop or Mac. Find the right step-by-step guide for your needs below:
Connect to a monitor
If you want to start using DeX with a monitor, you'll need to setup your own workstation. Choose your preferred adapter or cable from the list above, position your monitor and make sure you have your Samsung device to hand.
- Plug your HDMI cable or DeX cable into your monitor via the HDMI port.
- Connect your phone or tablet to the monitor. If you're using a DeX cable, simply plug the other end into your device's USB-C port.
- For those using a standard HDMI cable, connect it to the available port on either the Samsung HDMI adapter or multiport adapter. Then, connect the other end of the adapter to your device.
- Once you've successfully connected your phone or tablet, the Samsung DeX logo will appear on your monitor.
- Connect your mouse and keyboard via Bluetooth. Wired peripherals can also be used with a multiport adapter.
- That's it - you're ready to get started with Samsung DeX.
Setup on a Smart TV
Launched alongside the release of the Samsung Galaxy Note20, select devices can now use DeX with a Smart TV. As long as the TV in question has Miracast, you'll be able to wirelessly connect in seconds.
- Ensure screen mirroring is enabled on your TV. You may find this under Settings or Source, depending on the TV you own.
- Pull down the quick panel settings on your Samsung phone or tablet.
- Select DeX.
- From the available devices, choose the TV you'd like to cast to. Tap Start Now.
- DeX will then load up on your TV.
- To use your Samsung device as a touchpad, pull down the notifications bar and select 'Use phone/tablet as touchpad'. You should now be able to guide the pointer on screen, and access all of your apps.
- Alternatively, pair DeX with a keyboard or mouse via Bluetooth.
- You're finished - DeX is ready to go.
Use Samsung DeX with a PC
While Samsung DeX was originally created to deliver a desktop experience without a PC, the new DeX app will now let you use DeX with your laptop.
Available for the Note10, S20 series and the Note20 series (with new handsets expected to be added in the near future), all you'll need to get started is a PC running Windows 7 or 10, or a Mac running OS 10.13 or higher.
- Download the DeX for PC app onto your Mac or Windows laptop.
- Use your device's charger and connect via the USB port on your laptop or PC.
- DeX will automatically begin to load.
- From here, you'll have a number of options. You can view DeX in full screen mode, or run it alongside your regular PC applications in a floating window.
With DeX for PC set up, you'll have access to both your PC and Samsung applications at the same time. This means you can continue to browse the web or type on Microsoft Word while also having access to your messages directly on your computer. You can transfer photos from your phone in an instant as well; one swift 'drag and drop' motion will transport your favourite pictures and save them to your PC.
Interested in Samsung DeX? Make sure you have a Samsung device to use it with. Discover the best Samsung deals today at Mobiles.co.uk.