Alexa devices are a common sight in lots of households, be it an Echo Dot in the kitchen playing music or connected to smart bulbs in the living room. When linked to your smartphone, Alexa can be utilised in many different and useful ways. In this guide, we’ll show you how to set up Alexa and start making use of its features.
If you’re looking for a new phone to make the most of Alexa, check out our range of contract and refurbished devices at Mobiles.co.uk. Whether it’s a new smartphone or older model, there’s plenty of options to begin using Alexa with.
Download the Alexa app
The first thing you’ll want to do is download the Alexa app, either for Android or Apple based on your device. The app is essential to setting Alexa up, but also comes in useful for using Alexa later on.
Once the app is downloaded, you will need to log into your Amazon account, or create one if you don’t already own an account.
Connect your Alexa device
Next, use the app to begin adding your new Alexa device to your Amazon account:
- Tap ‘More’ on the bottom right corner of the screen
- Select ‘Add a Device’ at the top of the list
- Choose the device you are setting up from the options available e.g., ‘Amazon Echo’
- Follow the instructions to connect Alexa to Wi-Fi and continue setup
You can also enable the app to use Bluetooth and connect with other nearby Alexa-enabled devices; this will allow you to skip some of the initial setup steps.
Using Voice ID
Your Alexa is now connected to Wi-Fi and almost ready to be used. The next step is to set up a Voice ID, which Alexa will use to personalise your experience and open up other features, such as calling and receiving messages. Whilst using a Voice ID is optional, it will allow you to use the full breadth of Alexa’s features:
- Open the Alexa app
- Tap ‘More’ and then ‘Settings’
- Select ‘Your Profile & Family’
- Choose your profile from the options
- Tap ‘Voice ID’
- Follow the instructions to enable Alexa to recognise your voice
Changing Wi-Fi connection
If you need to connect Alexa to Wi-Fi after setting it up, you can change connection without needing to redo the set up process:
- Open the Alexa app
- Tap ‘Devices,’ then select your device e.g., ‘Echo & Alexa’
- Choose the device you wish to change connection for
- Tap ‘Status’
- Under the ‘Wireless’ section, select ‘Change’ next to the current Wi-Fi network
- Put your Alexa device into ‘Setup Mode’ by pressing and holding the round dot button
- Select ‘Continue’ when prompted by the app
- Tap your device when it appears on the screen
- Finally, select the new Wi-Fi connection and enter your security details if required
Your Alexa device is now fully set up. Multiple devices can be added to your Alexa app using these steps at any time and can be designated to different areas of your home, such as the bedroom or dining room.
If improving your fitness is one of the goals you want to achieve during the year, take a look at our list of the best fitness apps you can download across Android and Apple phones, with each one designed to help you get the most out of your exercise routine.